Wednesday, March 22, 2006

My Brother the Mac Hater


I love my brother - he's 10 years younger, and maybe 5 inches taller. He's got an IT job, after getting an (unused) degree in computer animation. And he's quite bright. But the sad fact of the matter is that he is a Windows bigot.

I'm not sure when it started, as I haven't been around him much the last 16 years. I've been in Japan the last 5, and in Hawaii most of the time before that. But when I came to visit him in the US last Fall (first time in 6 years) - he and his wife proudly announced that they are ANTI Mac as I did all sorts of kewl things with my PowerBook in their living room. I found this a little funny, as most people aren't ANTI Mac, just not interested in them.

I should have known, however. I've been trying forever to get my mom up on a decent computer - even switch her from dial-up to broadband. She's always complaining she can't see the jpegs I send her - doesn't know how to open them or how to forward them. But last Summer when I offered to buy and send her a Mac Mini to replace her falling apart Windows 95 system - my brother went ballistic. He even claimed he had a PC for her, but not time to set it up. Well, this hadn't changed at all several months later, though I didn't say much about it.

My brother is so Anti-Mac, he isn't even interested at all in setting up VOIP for anyone in the family - even himself. Last X-mas, I asked him to get and set up a SKYPE or Gizmo account - but it seems he thinks these are things that only MAC people use - so he won't have anything to do with it. WTF!

Anyway, I don't know if there is a cure for my brother's ills, but today I saw a glimmer of hope. He started telling me he wanted an MP3Player, then said something about getting one that could record speech or audio. He showed me URLs for some Sony products just released - with something like 30 hours of speaking time. Now I'm wondering - is he thinking of doing a PodCast? Maybe I should get him an iPod with a speech recorder... Hmmm... Nah... that would be too easy. :-)

No comments: